Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How important is Processing Power?

2006-09-22 15:00:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How important is Processing Power?
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:00:37 -0400
I'm speccing servers etc and management ever wanting so pinch a penny
wants to know how important dual processors are.  Not only is there the
added server expense, but both Windows and NBU licenses for multiple
processors are more expensive.  We're looking at Intel Dual Core Xeon
5060s w/ 2x2MB Cache, 3.2Ghz, 1066Mhz FSB on a Dell Power Edge 2950 w/
4GB RAM.  I originally spec'd two processors (two dual cores) which I'm
certain will be quite powerful enough to drive 4 Gigabit nics to disk
over fiber.  But how important is it, and can 1 do the job?  Anyone
running anything similar?

-Jonathan