Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 and Disk Staging

2006-09-22 05:47:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 and Disk Staging
From: pcd at xinupro.com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 05:47:55 -0400

Some quite valid points.  The splitting of a DSU's to alternate media
servers sounds like requirements from Veritas engineering would be
needed as the images on disk would be owned by a different media server.
I suppose scriptable be I can foresee several potential hiccups in the event
of errors.

Have you identified all the performance stats for each item in the mix?
So, for instance:
 max read/write of one tape drive
 max read/write of two or more tape drives at the same time
 max read/write of one LUN from CX
 max read/write of two or more LUNs from CX at the same time
 utilization rate of FC ports in switches throughout fabric

Not to ask a silly question, but are you sharing data paths at all?
There have been some posts in the past week or two on max transfer rates
round on LTO3, have you researched the archives of this list?  How big
a system is the media server?  Does it have the bandwidth to perform what
you want it to?  These all may be futile questions as you may have
reached the limits of your storage system.  The obvious but potentially
more expensive solution is to spread your load across more media servers.
It is a fully supported configuration...

Thanks
Peter

Peter DrakeUnderkoffler
Xinupro, LLC