Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How many servers per NBU Policy? - Poll

2006-09-21 16:30:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How many servers per NBU Policy? - Poll
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:30:21 -0400
Not to interject, but I'm thinking quite the opposite here.  Every
server I backup is somewhat unique, and I need to be able to custom
tailor what gets backed up when and how.  Despite my company's generic
"backup policy" I've found that even amongst similar servers (4 server
Citrix Farm, for example) the application owner is requiring me to
"custom fit" a solution to meet their needs.  We can't have all nodes of
the farm taking a backup "hit" at the same time now can we?  Anyhow, I
can't imagine in our environment having any more than 4 servers in a
single policy, and more often that not my policies are running closer to
2 just to meet app owner's specs.  If you can get away with it, I'm sure
one big window on Friday Night thru Sunday Evening is GREAT!  Throw in
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and put all your machines in it.  (I wish!)  However,
that kind of a general solution just doesn't cut it for my complex
environment.  (Maybe I'm dating a high-maintenance environment here.
What'cha think?)

As a side note, my Oracle DBAs spent a LOT of time consolidating their
RMAN jobs into 4 policies, and we found out that Netbackup couldn't
handle it.  We had to "back down" two of their policies to 6 or 8
servers each, because 1 big job with all 18 servers causes jobs to fail!
I would have opened a ticket with Symantec but we're not on support.

-Jonathan