Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How many servers per NBU Policy? - Poll

2006-09-21 15:55:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How many servers per NBU Policy? - Poll
From: pkoster at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us ("Koster, Phil")
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:55:20 -0400
It's a partially fair question.  For the most part we all have standard
environments in that some aspects and very standard and some servers/solutions
are very unique.  So from a ratio perspective, if I am way off, which it
appears I am, then I know I have a lot of work to do.  But the key is the
ratio, not the actual numbers.  50 Policies is not a big deal of you have 1,000
clients.  But if you have 50 policies and 25 servers you *might* have an issue.
 The ratio is just a guideline for me.  Not a "target".

My ratio is 1.26 servers per policy and we only have 85 servers defined in NBU
(We are not backing up almost half the servers we have).

Because my numbers are so far off "the norm", I can now see with great
confidence that a policy audit is very necessary and shifting around policies
and creating all new policies to regroup servers is not a waste of time by any
stretch of the imagination.

Thanks to all who answered.

Phil Koster
Network Administrator