Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows 2003, NBU 6.0MP3, VTL, Media Mount Timeout

2006-09-21 12:45:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2003, NBU 6.0MP3, VTL, Media Mount Timeout
From: mirko_nbu at mac.com (mirko_nbu AT mac DOT com)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:45:49 +0200
Hi all,

another kind of a problem, that may be a bug in NBU? Expert help
appreciated!

We're using NetBackup 6.0 on a Windows 2003 Server Master Server.
The Server is connected to a FJS CentricStore VTL, emulating 8 Exabyte
Mammooth drives with a capacity of 20Gb each. The drives are integrated
into a NBU logical library using TL8 as the drive controlling type...

The problem:
Whenever a media is requested, that does not reside in the VTL cache, the
media content has to be staged in transparently by the VTL software, leading
to an NBU robot error media timeout message! We tried to increase the
MEDIA_MOUNT_TIMEOUT using the GUI, but the timeout still appears after 6
minutes,
regardless of the setting... the windows system log complains about a sempahore
timeout! To me it seems like the MEDIA_MOUNT_TIMEOUT is not working correctly
or
is it only suitable for ACS managed or other drive? Maybe there is also some
different configuration setting on the Windows or TL8 side?

Besides this we wonder about the fact, that mounting of the tape media is
beeing retried using another tape drive. Is there any configuration value that
controls this? We already experimented with "Restore Retries = 0" & "Retry
Interval =1"...

Thanks for help!

Kind regards,

Mirko