Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux Shared Memory Configuration

2006-09-19 08:03:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux Shared Memory Configuration
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:03:43 -0400
/etc/sysctl.conf is the correct file.

You can learn more about it by reading the man page for it and also the
one for sysctl.

The available parameters are in /proc/sys/kernel.  You can cat each of
these to see current value (assuming they are using defaults not shown
in sysctl.conf).

There are shm and sem parameters (e.g. shmmax) but they are not exactly
the same.  You should focus on the shm parameters given the message
you're seeing.

Note:  RHEL 3 is 32 bit.  You can only set shmmax to 4 GB - 1 byte at
most.  (4 GB is maximum but if you set it to that it actually goes back
to 0 so you have to subtract the 1 byte).  Even with that the best
you'll get is 1.6 GB without doing some extra magic.

Unfortunately since the fibre on Linux didn't understand our fibre
bridges we never set up Linux as a media server so I can't tell you what
the settings should be.  Just wanted to offer the confirmation you asked
for about sysctl.conf and a little more info.