Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] problems with VTL StorageTek solution ?

2006-09-15 09:53:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] problems with VTL StorageTek solution ?
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:53:51 -0400
/sigh

Don't try and figure it out.  It took me 5 weeks to meet all of
Management's demands, and I'm still confused. =P

Basically, IF we went w/ Protectier we would have put it in our "DR
Building" (a significant ways away from our Data Center, connected via
fiber) and would have only had to write tapes for our monthly DR tapes
that get sent out of state.  Of course the problem with that is our
Hitachi SAN IS IN the Datacenter so the plan involved protectier in the
Data Center and replicating the data to the other building.  Or possibly
using the fiber between the buildings for SAN traffic instead of
network. Anyhow, I looked at about 30 or 40 different configs and most
of them were great, but too pricey.  Our retention policy here is pretty
low, we don't keep anything longer than a year except email which
amounts to very few tapes.  I think in the end the solution we are going
with costs about $180,000 and the Prtectier was easily in the $250,000 -
$300,000 range.

Its looking like a slow Friday.. I'm going to get our "final" config
documented and I'll send it out for all to see.  But rest assured I got
grilled on about every backup solution that you could possibly think of,
and my management successfully picked the least costly solution that
(barely) meets our needs possible! =(

-J