Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup desktops & Laptops

2006-09-12 11:46:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup desktops & Laptops
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:46:05 -0400
In a previous position, I had to do that.

basically, for a poor man's laptop schedule, you can put the laptop
names all in one policy, then say around 6am, or whenever folks start
coming into the office, dump the client list for that policy into a
file, and use a script to step through the file, on name at a time,
pinging each client.......if the client responds, kick off a manual
backup, remove the client name from the list, then move on to the next
one....when you get to the end of the list, start over at the top.

at midnight or so, either send the remainder of the list to yourself in
an e-mail, then dump the remainder of the list, or kick of jobs for the
rest of the machines all at once, so they all fail with a 57, 41, or
whatever. so they're logged as "failed" in netbackup.

kind of a quick and dirty way, but it worked for us.

The desktops were backed up as if they were any other server.

I don't backup laptops or desktops here.
The only laptops are loaners that get reimaged when they're brought
back, and the desktops are all thin clients with data living on
fileservers.

Paul