Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple-Nics

2006-09-12 11:04:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple-Nics
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:04:15 -0400
ok, so slow (10/100) clients will be backed up over the main network, so
they will not have a 10.1.2 NIC, that part's easy.
the policy lists the production hostname of the client, and the client
has the production network (10.1.1) hostnames of the master/media
servers.

with the clients connected to both networks, you will need two
hostnames. a hostname for the frontside (production) connection, and a
second hostname for the backup connection.

your backup policies will need to list the "backup" network hostname,
otherwise the backup request will go over the production network. The
bp.conf of the clients should only have the backup network hostnames of
the master/media servers.....that way they will ignore (fail status 59)
any attempted backup request that comes from the 10.1.1 interface of the
backup servers.

you will also have to make sure that each client has its netmasks and
routes configured properly to avoid asymetrical routing, where data
comes in one NIC, and the reply goes out via the other.

would be a good idea to make sure the 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 networks do not
converge at a switch/router, all servers and clients attached to both
networks have routing disabled, and none of the routers on your network
have a route from 10.1.1 to 10.1.2

If a server has multiple connections to a given subnet, you'll want
either something like Sun's IP Multipath, to ensure that outbound
traffic is load balanced over the multiple NICs..... or trunking, to
turn the multiple NICs into one virtual....otherwise, you'll probably
see one interface being used much more than the other....cuz remember,
your incoming data will be coming back on the same interface that the
outgoing backup request went out on.....so you outgoing data needs to
load balance...(spread backup jobs over the two NICs.)

IP Multipathing is very easy to set up, and doesn't require a license or
PS, which I believe is required by Sun for trunking.

Paul