Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSU - Update

2006-09-11 03:15:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSU - Update
From: dean.deano at gmail.com (Dean)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:15:57 +1000
Simon,

Firstly, have you tuned SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK?

Other than that, performance management when writing backups to disk is very
different to tape. Writing multiple streams to a single DSU or volume group
can work well, until you hit a magical threshold and suddenly performance
dives through the floor. Although writing a backup to disk is a sequential
write operation, if you write more than one stream in parallel, it suddenly
becomes random writes from the disk subsystem's perspective, which can have
major performance implications.

You also need to look at what other activity is happening in the EVA at the
time, and particular on the same volume set (or RAID set, or whatever
terminolgy is used). You could also look at performance on the disk
controller/s and interface/s.

Aside from all that, you've got your work cut out trying to get any disk to
outperform an LTO3 (performing sequential writes). Despite what various
vendors tell you, tape is very well suited to backup workloads. It was
designed for it! Backing up to disk is better suited to slower clients that
can't send data to the media server fast enough to keep the tape drive
streaming.

That's all my opinion, and I might be a bit biased ;)

Cheers,
Dean