Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6 Sharepoint question

2006-09-10 20:27:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 Sharepoint question
From: Tim.Wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au (Wilkinson, Tim)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:27:54 +1000
Hi,

I'm getting to know NBU better as time goes but know very little about
Sharepoint, so hopefully someone can shed a bit of light on this
scenario.
We had a Sharepoint server (we'll call this Sharepoint1) and this was
being backed up using the Sharepoint agent fine. Now the dbs have been
moved (apparently - this was done by someone else) to another server
(we'll call this Sharepoint2). The IIS Sharepoint interface is still run
from Sharepoint1.
I didn't know the dbs had been moved, so kicked off a job manually this
morning (there had been other issues last week so backups didn't run on
weekend). It seems to have split into 2 child jobs; it started running
and successfully backed up the second child job (what it refers to as
'INDEX DB1') but fails with 4 other dbs in the other child job
(Configuration DB, Content DB, User Profile DB and Services DB).
Sharepoint (and perhaps NBU) appears to know about the fact the dbs are
on 'Sharepoint2' (NBU is trying to connect to Sharepoint2) but it fails
as there is no NBU client on Sharepoint2 (there will be).
I suspect when NBU client is installed on Sharepoint2, it maybe able to
connect this way, using Sharepoint1 as the 'gateway' (not sure of the
correct term but it is still used to connect to Sharepoint; only the dbs
have been moved to Sharepoint2). Will I need to backup Sharepoint2 with
the Sharepoint agent also, or should backing up Sharepoint1 take care of
this, providing there is a client on Sharepoint 2?

Cheers,

        Tim Wilkinson
        I.T. Support Officer
        Science Corporate Information Systems
        Defence Science & Technology Organisation
        Department of Defence

        Tel: (02) 96921484
        Fax: (02) 96921562
        Email: tim.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au