Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migration from 4.5 FP3 to 6.0

2006-09-07 15:11:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migration from 4.5 FP3 to 6.0
From: yxiao2004 at gmail.com (Yang Xiao)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:11:32 -0400
On 9/7/06, WEAVER, Simon <simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net> wrote:

>  *Yang*
> *Oh dear, oh dear! this is when you start to feel that the support is not
> so good :-(*
> **
> *how many tapes are we dealing with?*
>
> *Phase 1 process takes an hour1, and based on my findings, and experience,
> an LTO Phase 2 takes 4 hours, give or take.*
> **
> *Again, if you have a limited set of tapes, I guess its "OK", to do this
> and you have the time. also, bear in mind a drive will be in full use while
> the import takes place. So unless you have a spare drive backups will not
> run correctly and could fail.*
> **
> *Also, there appears to be some concerns about 6.0 and the so called MP3.
> If the Support engineer is going to be AT hand , during the whole process,
> then its probably worth considering this.*
> **
> *I run 5.1 MP2 and to be honest, its absolutely fine. I am not saying this
> is what you should do, but if you have to upgrade, youll need to go to 5.xand
> then to
> 6.0*
> **
> *As for your OS - If symantec say do it, then it must be supported!*
> *Hope this is of some help*
> **
> **

We are looking at 80-100 tapes, and they are on a 3 week rotation, so every
week when we get them from Iron Mountain, the contains on them are expiring.
This makes me think I don' really need to import anything except the
policies, because I just need to keep the tape rotation going and if
something happens, lets say in the first week, I need to restore something
from 2 weeks ago, I will have to reconnect the old backup server and call
back the tapes, and since we have copy 2 and copy 3 of each backup on disk,
I may not even have to bother with the tapes....
So in this case, do you think I can just add the tapes to the new server
each week without importing them?

Thanks,

- Yang