Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] TNICs?

2006-09-07 14:14:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] TNICs?
From: DCox at nyse.com (Daniel Cox)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:14:51 -0500

Take that with a grain of salt.

A common misconception is an embedded ASIC on hardware such as a NIC or
RAID card will be faster than performing those functions in software
using the host CPU. This is certainly not always the case and there are
some examples that can be found online where enabling TOE features can
actually slow things down.

There are a number of factors that come into play here. If you don't
have any CPU available, then any offloading to an ASIC for anything such
as TOE will likely help. Also if the TCP/IP stack implementation in the
core OS is shall we say suboptimal, then offloading could help. Also the
driver implementation and driver parameters can play a huge role under
high packet loads.

I have some Intel 10Gbe NICs running on Linux in my NetBackup
environment which do around 2-3gbit/s. Enabling or disabling TOE doesn't
seem to make much of a difference. I find most CPU time is spent in the
kernel flipping the 100k+ context switches/second required to schedule
all of those bptm processes and then there's the added latency of
interrupt generation and FC protocol overhead when sending out my HBAs.
Even so, I still have plenty of CPU available and usually saturate my
tape drives. This is a 4 x Xeon 3ghz box for reference.

The best advantage some of the higher end NICs have (although this is
even becoming common place these days) is interrupt coalescing since it
gets rather expensive to generate a hardware interrupt for every packet
at high packet rates.

In short YMMV highly is a given. Unless you are currently saturating
your CPUs I would be pretty skeptical, but I would be curious to see
your results.

DC-