Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User Restores?

2006-09-06 20:53:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User Restores?
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:53:23 -0500
Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) wrote:
> Is there any feature of NBU that would allow users to restore their own
> data?  I suppose we could give them access to the restore GUI, but they
> could then restore any file to any location, which is a major security
> issue.  (Whoops, did I just overwrite the kernel?)  Is there some sort
> of way we could give users the ability to restore their own data without
> the DLO option?

I haven't seen a good way of doing this with NetBackup.  I've heard that
CommVault does this well for Windows clients though.  It would be nice
if Symantec could implement this in the future...

You could, I suppose, develop your own scripts to do this but it's a
non-trivial problem to determine if a user can really, really restore a
file from backup (what if it's the same file name but the copy on tape
has different ACLs?).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA