Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup VTL tuning

2006-09-06 15:21:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup VTL tuning
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:21:01 -0400
This is confusing due to the fact that the tape sizes are variable. This
doesn't fit into the paradigm most of use are used to with tape.

if you want to use fewer tape IDs, you should probably increase the MPX level,
and somehow force larger amounts of data on each tape ID. (increase min size of
media ID)

with only 4 drives, you can only run 4 streams at once, unless you have a MPX
>= 1,  (max # of streams := # of drives x MPX) so I'm a little confused as to
how the number of streams affects the number of media IDs used, unless the CDL
marks a tape as "full" at the end of a job.

The variable size media thing is confusing. I would be interested in browsing
the CDL docs that describe this.....

Paul