Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Non-SSO San Tape Drives

2006-09-05 09:05:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Non-SSO San Tape Drives
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:05:48 -0400
All,

We're working on a "final product" here for out backup upgrade and I've
got a quick question about Tape Drives in SAN but Non-SSO environments.
I understand in SSO that you have to install all of the shared drives on
all the SSO/SAN Media servers, that is they all must be "visible" to all
the OS that intend to share them.  Can this be done in NON-SSO
configurations by "drive down?" to "share?"  That is, if we have 3 media
servers each with an LTO-3 Drive, and one spare, can I share the spare
drive out to all three media servers (via the Fiber Cannel Switch) and
then "Down" all "three" extra drives, and only "UP" One drive in case
the primary has hardware failure?  Granted, this is probably not the
best way to do this but I'm being forced to get creative.... :o)

Silly budgets....

-Jonathan