Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup VTL tuning

2006-09-05 07:46:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup VTL tuning
From: backupicici at gmail.com (Veritas Netbackup)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:16:21 +0530
Hi List,

We have a Clariion Disk Library with MPx set to 4.

At the momment the admins fire backups and after 4 streams of backup are
started, a new media is used to write the backup.

Since the CDL tapes can grow from a minimum of 4 GB to whatever size is
available in the volume, it seems to me that the tape utilization is not
optimum.

As a consequence I need to consequently free medias and add the to
SCRATCHPOOL OR provide less medias in SCRATCHPOOL so as to limit them from
firing too many consequitve backups.

Any suggestions for this scenario??? Shd we disable multistreaming in the
policy??? Will this increase tape util??

Any suggestions for a VTL & netbackup combination to increase performance
and tape utilization are welcome.

Regards,
PP BIJU KRISHNAN