Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Trying to identify expired tapes

2006-08-31 17:13:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Trying to identify expired tapes
From: tom.tschida at guidant.com (Tschida, Tom (STP))
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:13:51 -0500
Gurus,

I have a request from our legal department to identify all tapes written
within a one year period.  Unfortunately, that period is just outside of
our retention.

What I did:  From a Full backup of the Master server just after the
requested period, I restored the images directory,
netbackup/db/media/mediaDB, volmgr/database/volDB and poolDB and class
directory to a server in our lab.

I created the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/NOexpire file, moved all restored
files in place, then stopped and restarted NetBackup on the test server.

I was able to run bpimagelist and identify all the tapes written to
during the time period.  The problem is, when I run bpmedialist on the
individual tapes, it says they are not in the NB media database, even
though they can be seen in the GUI under media.  They also show up with
vmquery.

The question is, do I still need to restore something, or am I just
totally missing something with NB functionality?

Any help is appreciated.

Tom Tschida
Guidant Corporation