Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Aptare vs. NB 6.0 NOM reporting

2006-08-10 16:10:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Aptare vs. NB 6.0 NOM reporting
From: GreenbergKA at aetna.com (Greenberg, Katherine A)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:10:18 -0400
The thing I really like about Aptare is it's *real time* capability. As
soon as a backup ends, the information is pushed from the master server
to the Aptare server. Nice!  I found Bocada to be seriously wanting when
being used in a large environment for this reason specifically b/c the
lowest value (if I remember correctly) you can set their polling to was
like an hour.

Another thing I like about Aptare is that you can use it with Legato and
TSM as well as NetBackup. I do not believe you can do that with any
Veritas products except Command Central. Aptare has a restore feature
that is really slick as well. We support TSM as well as NetBackup, so
for us, it's nice for our operations/monitoring people to have the
*single pane of glass*.

I haven't played with NOM much. And I like it for what it is... an
OPERATIONS tool. However, if you want to be able to do things like
trending, etc. I would look at one of the reporting specific add-on
tools not made by Veritas.

My .02 :)

~Kate