Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Hot Backups using TimeFinder BCV

2006-08-02 15:59:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Hot Backups using TimeFinder BCV
From: kenneth.lee at siemens.com (Lee, Kenneth (SBS US))
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:59:30 -0700
There is no need to do RMAN on the backup host, just do a file system
backup.  I am assuming that you are doing something to put Oracle in
backup mode before you do your split.  As for the archive logs, it
depends on how your file system was set up.  If your archive logs are on
the BCV volumes, then that will be moved to tape when you backup the
file system.  The problem with having archive logs on the BCV volumes
is, when you do a restore of the BCV, you will overlay your current logs
on the file system, which is very bad.  What I do is make sure the
Oracle archive logs are not on the BCV volumes and crontab a script to
backup the logs using NetBackup and delete them when it has been backed
up.

Ken