Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL

2006-08-01 15:51:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:51:48 -0400
Some VTL products' de-duplication technology is eons beyond compression,
with low level pattern matching, etc, etc, enabling upt to 25:1
effective "compression".

VTL allows you to pool disk on a single VTL that can be shared to
multiple media servers as virtual tape drives, whereas DSSU cannot be
shared, so you must pre determine how many jobs per storage unit/media
server you will run in a given night, and allocate the appropriate
amount of disk per media server.

if you have an operations group that is accustomed to tape, it maintains
the tape paradigm they're familiar with.

VTLs can be clustered, so you can have a second VTL at a second site,
replicated over IP, without getting into duplication, vaulting, or any
sort of DR copy within the backup app.

other stuff, but I'm outta here for the day, and that's all that on the
top of my mind at the moment.
:o)

Paul