Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL

2006-08-01 14:48:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL
From: alex.gerber at sepracor.com (alex.gerber AT sepracor DOT com)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:48:47 -0400
VTL are expensive, however the limits I would disagree. We have a Sepaton (70+
Tb of usable - note not RAW) and I believe the limits on the Sepaton is in
Petabytes.

Disk Staging is a nice concept, however with that you are placing a lot of the
responsibility back on the admin. Fiber Zoning, installation, maintenance, etc,
is all done by the admin in the case of Disk Staging.

In our group its just me and another UNIX Admin who are responsible for
backups/duplication/restores for all the UNIX, Windows, SAN, NAS storage (about
12.5 Tb of Data). I personally don't have time to deal with Symantec/Veritas
support, which (lets be honest now) sucks lately. Sooooo - I am using VTL as
crutch and "outsourcing" support to Sepaton.

To each their own........

Alex Gerber
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator
Sepracor Inc.