Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Advantages to running Net Backup 6 on Linux vs. Windows

2006-07-31 16:28:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Advantages to running Net Backup 6 on Linux vs. Windows
From: pkoster at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us ("Koster, Phil")
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:28:07 -0400
Net Backup 6 MP2.  Mixed environment.  Mostly Win 2K Srvr and RHES 3 but
servers range from RH7.2 and WinNT4 up to RHEL 4 and Win 2K3 R2.  Current back
up server is a Win2K Srvr.  We are going to add another one and there is some
debate about whether to go Win or Linux.

Question is:
Is there any advantage to running Net Backup on Linux as opposed to Windows?
(Aside of the obvious OS benefits.  I'm asking specifically about within the
Net backup environment itself like features that will only work backing up
Linux boxes to a Linux box, speed increases etc.).

Thanks.

Phil Koster
Jr. Network Engineer
City of Grand Rapids, MI