Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MS SQL restore - master client vs. client side restore

2006-07-31 13:41:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MS SQL restore - master client vs. client side restore
From: cjmanders at lbl.gov (Christopher Jay Manders)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:41:06 -0700
1st, there are two ways to restore MySQL data, but depend on the backup
method employed.
1 - back up the database files themselves while the database
   is quiescent (not in use or shutdown).
2 - use the mysqldump command to dump the database to
   a set of files that you then back up.

I have not heard of an agent for NBU for Mysql. If there is one someone
else many have better knowledge of that, but in short it would operate
basically the same as the mysqldump backup and mysqlimport restore. That
would mean that your data is just stored as a long string of sql
statements that can be replayed back into a database.

We use both methods, depending on client needs and whether the database
can be shut down for the backup. With method number 1 you just need to
put the data files back and point your instance of mysql at the database
files. 2 is simple enough and does not require the database to be shut
down.

As for what tapes are needed for a restore. ... In the GUI there is a
button to show what tapes will be needed in the Restore section.

You can also use the command line

HTH

Cheers!

--Chris