Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disaster Recovery Site

2006-07-31 10:19:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disaster Recovery Site
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:19:18 -0400
I have a similar setup, except I'm using a GigE link over DWDM/leased
fiber, as well as a pair of 2Gb/s FC connections.

I have a master at two sites, each site has a tape library.

the /opt/openv filesystem is replicated using VVR, and the tapes are
replicated using ITC, so each backup writes simultaneously to a tape at
each location.

in the case of a DR event, the 2nd master would take over the replicated
filesystem, daemons started, and the device configuration wizard would
be run to reconfigure Netbackup to see whatever drives were available
(probably only the 2nd site drives, rather than both sites' drive as the
original master had seen.)
All second copy tapes would be promoted to pirmary and we're off to the
races.

as far as the hostname thing.....

each of my masters has 2 NICs.

the nic names have nothing to do with the "master" name.

both systems are named "master", in /etc/nodename, etc....netbackup is
installed with "master" as the name in all configs.

at head office, the NIC names in DNS, and in the /etc/hosts files are
master-ho1 and master-ho2
at the DR site, the NIC names in DNS, and in the /etc/hosts files are
master-dr1 and master-dr2

at head office, there is a dns alias that points "master" to
"master-ho1"
in our DR plan, there is a note to change the alias to point to
master-dr1, however that is only significant for launching the GUI from
a host other than the master, as both masters have an entry in their
hosts files that point "master" to the same IP as the primary NIC.

works fine for us.....alternating the catalog backups to 2 tapes, one at
HO and one at DR is a good idea, or if you don't have FC connectivity to
the second site, make sure a copy of your catalog tape is sent to the DR
site with your data tapes.

Paul