Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disaster Recovery Site

2006-07-31 10:03:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disaster Recovery Site
From: Michael.Sponsler at ngc.com (Sponsler, Michael)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:03:18 -0400
I'm working to get a Disaster Recovery Site setup and configured.  I'm
running my backups on my master server (netbackup 6.0) from City A, and
that master server backs up information from Cities X, Y, and Z.  The
plan is to have another Master Server (netbackup 6.0), for disaster
recover, setup at City B (it's 100 miles away, with a 10 meg fiber link
to city A).  I was wondering about a "best practices" approach.  The
catalog for the master server in City A sits on an external RAID device
(Sun StoreEdge 9980).  The catalog is to be replicated using Veritas
Volume Replicator to a Sun StorEdge 9980 in City B, so that the Disaster
Recovery site as a mirror to the catalog in City A.  The idea is, is
that if City A were for some reason to either Fall off the map, or be
disconnected from the internet, City B's master server could pick up
where City A left off.  I know there are tape issues involved here, and
what I'm trying to setup is basically a Netbackup Cluster.  Now given
the fact that City A and City B are at least 100 miles apart, is there
anything anyone can recommend for my situation?

Also, given that I'll have two master Servers (an active / passive
thing), what would be the best way to approach hostnames?  Does
netbackup allow you to change the hostname?  Are there any issues with
changing a master server's hostname?  Has anyone worked with the
Netbackup Cluster software?  Would they recommend it for a Disaster
Recovery Site like I described?

--
Mike Sponsler
Northrop Grumman