Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Non-Failover to Failover

2006-07-24 17:22:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Non-Failover to Failover
From: mbeal at verisign.com (Beal, Matt)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:22:46 -0700
[take my comments for what they're worth, which isn't much; this answer
is also designed around Solaris and NBU 4.5 and may not work with NBU
6.0]

I believe the 2 issues that complicate converting a non-failover install
to a failover-install involve the master server's hostname and shared
storage for the catalog and other databases. You also need to make sure
that the tape devices on the each node of the master's cluster are
exactly the same, assuming the master is also a media server.

The best way to accomplish this is to build your installation so that
the master server's "name" is a VIP, such as "master1". The VIP would
sit on top of your active backup server (say, "backup1"). This solves
the hostname problem. NBU doesn't know or care which actual host it's on
as long as the virtual name works. Every part of the configuration
should reference the master server as "master1". If you've already built
your install so the master is "backup1" perhaps you can make that the
VIP and change the underlying hostname of the server to "nbu1" or
whatever you have to do. If you have no choice but to change the
master's name, see the various threads on this list for how to change a
master's hostname - it's painful.

The other issue is shared storage. Put the entire install of /opt/openv
on shared storage - SAN-attached, NAS, whatever, as long as it's visible
to both hosts.

Right there, you've solved the two big problems that prevent a clustered
solution. You don't have to use clustering technology - if backup1
fails, manually bring up the shared storage on backup2, manually bring
up the VIP, and start NBU - but dropping VCS on top of all this should
be trivial.

Note that in a clustered failover solution, Veritas may require that you
have a valid master server license for each failover node, even if it's
a passive standby, but confirm that with your sales rep.

matt