Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Speeds Revisited

2006-07-13 09:41:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Speeds Revisited
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:41:24 -0400
Verify that your network ports are configured properly, and that you're
running at FULL duplex.

If you're running GigE, then boths sides should be configured as
Auto-Speed/Auto-Duplex, and when you mouse over the little network icons
on your system tray, you should get 1000Mb/s-Full.

If one side is hardcoded and the other side "auto negotiate", your link
will most likely come up at 100/Half, which will give almost exactly
what you're seeing.

Get Network to check for CRC errors on your switch ports, and if there
are any, the interswitch links.
Verify that you're not connected to an edge switch that is half duplex
to the core....some Cisco Gigastacks interconnect at
half-duplex...nothing you can do there but get moved to another switch.

Paul