Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows OS restore

2006-07-10 09:28:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows OS restore
From: Greg.Hindle at constellation.com (Hindle, Greg)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:28:02 -0400
I am not sure what the wintel team uses to try and recover the server
before they call the backup team to perform a restore. We perform full
systems backups with checkpoints. But we do not use VSP because of the
problems it creates. The wintel team uses a imaging tool where they can
build a server in about 20 minutes with all the base OS settings in
tact. We then perform a full system restore to the same box using the
win2option to tell netbackup we are going back to the same server. After
the restore is done, we reboot the server expecting to come back up as
is. But as tech support explained their are always registry keys that do
not get backed up because they are in use etc. We have tried this in a
windows 2000 and windows 203 server. Same issues. The server sometime
will not reboot and will keep rebooting. When we use a diag boot cdrom
we get in but the applications so not seem to work either. We have even
tried installing windows in a dummy directory doing a full restore,
editing the boot.ini file to point to the correct version and even that
does not work. We had support on the line for 6 hours and the senior
level engineers etc. But no matter what we could not get it working.

Greg Hindle
Constellation Energy
Data Management & Recovery
Room 500, 1068 N. Front St.