Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows OS restore

2006-07-10 09:25:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows OS restore
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:25:26 -0400
That blows Greg.

Both in initial Netbackup acceptance tests, as well as most subsequent
tests and recoveries, we've had no problems with the documented
procedures.
I've recovered everything from Citrix Metaframe servers (alternate
system drive, M rather than C), DCs, clusters, the works.
Only thing I haven't done is a full ground up cluster + Exchange.

the only thing I haven't been able to restore easily is MS-ADAM (Advance
Directory Application Mode?) which resides in a part of the system state
that isn't captured by the system state backup with the Version of
Windows and Netbackup we were running on the client, so we had to do
scheduled NT-Backups of the ADAM directory.

took a while to work out the procedure, but it looks like we've got it
sussed.

in some cases we've had to use the
"<install_path>\VERITAS\Netbackup\bin\w2koption -restore -same_hardware
1" option, but it's be rare enough that we don't usually bother on the
first restore attempt.

and in the case of cluster restores where the disk set is lost, we have
to use the
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Clu
ster_Database_Force_Restore" reg key to restore quorum, but that is
documented in the HA guide......

One problem we encountered early in our acceptance testing was when the
base image we installed as a restore target had more applications than
the system that we'd backed up ans were trying to restore.

See, the restore process will overwrite any existing file with what's on
tape, but will not delete files off the system if there is no
"equivalent" file on tape......so if an app was installed on the system,
then you restore over that system, overwriting some, but not all files,
there could be files remaining on the system that now conflict with what
was restored to it...hard to explain.

Paul