Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] encryption

2006-07-07 08:08:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] encryption
From: william.d.brown at gsk.com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:08:28 +0100
We have thought a bit about this but the Decru units did not have the
connectivity needed, and are not cheap.  We have dozens of tape drives,
and to insert a fibre-fibre encryption device would cost a huge amount.
We'd also have to pay to provide one at the (contracted) DR site.

So if you have few tape drives the appliance may be good.

William D L Brown

"Ed Wilts" <ewilts at ewilts.org>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
06-Jul-2006 17:20

"Bhangui, Sandeep - BLS CTR" <Bhangui.Sandeep at bls.gov>
cc
veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu, shanel at google.com
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] encryption

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:23:02AM -0400, Bhangui, Sandeep - BLS CTR
wrote:
>         What are the tools available to doing encryption outside of
> Netbackup and than taking that encrypted data to tape?? Are these
> products expensive??? We may have a requirement at our site for such
> thing for few servers.

There are 2 large players in the encryption appliance market - NetApp
(which bought Decru) and NeoScale.  These products may be expensive
(which is relative to the value of your data) but are essentially
transparent - you plug them in and the data goes through them on the way
from the media servers to the tape drives.  Once you've solved the
problem for one client, you've solved it for them all.  Our approach
will be (as soon as our purchase req is approved) to encrypt everything.
That way you'll not have to worry about missing a client and losing a
tape with critical data still unencrypted (or discovering the hard way
that one of your users moved a file to a different client that wasn't
encrypted).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA