Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU: small office WAN config - deal? or no deal?

2006-07-06 22:32:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU: small office WAN config - deal? or no deal?
From: james.c.siano at lmco.com (Siano, James C)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:32:12 -0400
Hello:

Deal or no deal? Or should I say - remote media server or no remote
media server?

I've got an instance of NBU 5.0 mp3 doing backup chores for a good bevy
of Windows and Unix machines pretty much limited to a relatively close
WAN all attached to main fiber backbone.  One Master /media media server
combo attached to a Qualstar AIT4 robotic.

However, I've got odd ball machine is multiple router hops away in
another state and another part of the country -- on a relatively shared,
slow link.   Backup times because on the host at this location to the
Qualstar are way more than they should be that and causes a tape drive
to be tied up. The entire window suffers.

Would it make any sense to place a small tape device at the remote site
and install a local media server? (DEAL) I'm think, the main NBU
instance in my data center would do all the
controlling/tracking/scheduling but without the overhead of pulling the
data across the wire to the local robotic.
I have another remote office with about 4 wintel boxes that could take
on the same notional scheme.

My other option (NO DEAL) would to put standalone Backup Exec instances
at each of the remote sites and have all local tape and
scheduling/controlling.  The remote offices don't have dedicated IT
support staff.

I'm hoping I could put everything under one Netbackup umbrella.

Let me know your thoughts.   Deal or no deal.

Sincerely,
Jim Siano, sysadmin
Lockheed Martin / Enterprise Information Systems
Moorestown, New Jersey site
Phone: 856.722.4783
james.c.siano at lmco.com
http://www.motown.lmco.com/~jsiano (internal to LMCO)