Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Typical success rates?

2006-06-30 11:40:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Typical success rates?
From: austin.murphy at gmail.com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:40:05 -0400
On 6/30/06, Tristan Ball <Tristan.Ball at vsl.com.au> wrote:

> And we'd run 5.1 everywhere still, if I wasn't caught on one side with a
> requirement for
> an EM64T Linux master server (only "supported on  6.0), and a management
> directive
> to run the same software  everywhere.

Just because you have x86_64 hardware, doesn't mean you have to run an
x86_64 version of Linux.   I would actually recommend using 32-bit
linux on the Intel EM64T chips unless you are using >4GB of RAM.

The AMD Opterons work better with 64-bit linux, but even then you
don't need to run 64-bit NetBackup.  Just make sure you have all the
necessary 32-bit libraries installed and 32-bit NetBackup will run
fine.

As of 5.1 MP4, 32-bit NetBackup SERVER, running on 64-bit RHEL 4 or
64-bit SLES 9, running on x86_64 hardware is a supported
configuration.
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/263839.pdf

Austin