Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 6.0 MP2 Shared Memory Issue?

2006-06-29 10:31:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 6.0 MP2 Shared Memory Issue?
From: Karl.Rossing at Federated.CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:31:50 -0500
Admins,

We have one 6.0 MP2 Master/Media server running on Solaris 10.  The server
has been running fine for a while (uptime: 19 days). I was running debug
vxlog (level 6) logging. I also had the bplogs (open/netbackup/logs/bpxyz)
cranked up to five but turned all that down to one yesterday. Restarted
netbackup.

A good portion of our backups did not run correctly last night. Here is
some of the more salient entries in the problem log.
        system call failed - Not enough space (at bpdm.c.3311)
        could not allocate enough shared memory for backup buffers
        backup of client xyz exited with status 89 (problems encountered
during setup of shared memory)

Now here is what i have found confusing, Solaris 10 now has resource
controls for most of their shared memory settings. For example, setting
msginfo_msgmnb has no effect:
        * NOTE: As of Solaris 10, System V IPC tunables are unnecessary.
The
        * "msginfo_msgmnb" tunable has been replaced with a resource
control;
        * the assignment below has been left to provide compatibility with
your
        * previous settings.  For more details, see the Solaris 10 "What's
New"
        * document, or the "Solaris Tunable Parameters Reference Manual".
        set msgsys:msginfo_msgmnb=65536

I'm waiting for veritas technical support engineer to get back to me.

I'm left wondering if there is an issue with MP2. Have you run into a
problem with MP2 shared memory?

Karl-Fr?d?ric Rossing,

Technical Services

phone:
204-786-6431

fax:
204-784-6755

toll free:
1-800-665-1934

www.federated.ca

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The information in this email may be confidential and/or legally
privileged. This email is intended to be reviewed by only the
individual(s) or organization(s) named above. If you are not the intended
recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this
email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately
notify the sender by return email and delete this email and its
attachments from your system. Thank you.