Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Archiving "Gotcha's"

2006-06-24 23:53:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Archiving "Gotcha's"
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:53:41 -0400
> Is anyone doing Exchange Archiving (Enterprise Vault or other
> product)?
> How about DB or file archiving?  I am hoping to get some
> feedback on the

File.

First, do you understand what "archive" means in NetBackup?  It's
backup-and-delete-if-successful.

It's a user backup.  That means NetBackup doesn't schedule it, it just
allows the user to run it during the times you allow.  Works fine (one
bug in the recent past that I recall--you can find it on the support
site).  To use archiving, you should have a business process with a
requirement that the backup do the deleting rather than the entity that
started the backup--and that's a rare business process.

> basic strategy deployed and if there are any speed bumps to
> worry about.
> Also, is it standard practice to archive forever until deleted by the
> user?  Is anyone archiving and then deleting the archive if it hasn't
> been referenced for an extended period of time?  Was it
> difficult to get
> this policy approved?  Have there been any significant issues with
> bringing archived data back?

>From these questions, you probably want a hierarchical storage
management product, not NetBackup per se.  Veritas/Symantec has an HSM
product called Storage Migrator which has some level of integration with
NetBackup; others will know more about it.

You've asked about a wide range of archiving needs and everything about
them.  You might get from 0% to 20% on this faster via a search engine.