Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty finalfragments

2006-06-22 22:54:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty finalfragments
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:54:15 -0400
<shaking head>
Ed, Ed, Ed...
</shaking head>

> You need to quit dating yourself and give some credit to the
> programmers
> who tried to get it right while dealing with people like you who are
> telling them the wrong thing.  1GB, by SI standards, is 1000MB.
> Seriously, I was raised and trained in binary too, but the buggers
> changed the standards on us in 1998.
>
> one gigabyte     1 GB = 10^9 B = 1 000 000 000 B

This is, of course, sacrilege.  When the CIPM and the IEC redefine the
day as 10 hours and the year as 1000 days to make the arithmetic easier,
I won't be buying that one, either.  :-)

You would have loved the Bull/GE/Honeywell 55/58 series from the early
'70s.  The same Gallic logic above that insists that the natural world
conform to the decimal system produced an excellent, very weird, and
doomed to failure computer system that addressed its etched-glass memory
purely in decimal:  0-4999 and 0-9999.

When computer logic becomes decimal-based, I'll start using "kibibytes."
<eyeroll>  :-)