Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty finalfragments

2006-06-22 21:59:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty finalfragments
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:59:46 -0500
On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 08:49:41PM -0400, bob944 wrote:
> I always used to set frag sizes to 1GB (actually 1024 in the dialog box
> times 1000 in dumb-programmer-land)

You need to quit dating yourself and give some credit to the programmers
who tried to get it right while dealing with people like you who are
telling them the wrong thing.  1GB, by SI standards, is 1000MB.
Seriously, I was raised and trained in binary too, but the buggers
changed the standards on us in 1998.

one gigabyte     1 GB = 10^9 B = 1 000 000 000 B

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA