Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty final fragments

2006-06-22 11:12:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty final fragments
From: stumpb at michigan.gov (Bob Stump)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:12:16 -0400
What am I doing wrong?
I can only get a max maximum of 2GB for Max Frag Size on my dstores and
dssu's
NB 5.1 MP4 solaris_9

>>> Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness at ucdavis.edu> 6/22/2006 10:53 AM >>>

Thanks, Bob.

The technote described my problem exactly......

I'm planning on migrating to a new server this summer, so I'll make
sure
I install NB5.1MP5.  Upgrading to NB6.0 is too ambitious for the
summer
since major releases change outputs of many administrative commands
I use.

In the meantime, has anybody tried fooling NetBackup by creating a
non-zero-sized fragment full of 0's?

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, bob944 wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 02:21:03 -0400
> From: bob944 <bob944 at attglobal.net>
> To: veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu,
>      'Kathryn Hemness' <kfhemness at ucdavis.edu>
> Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty final
fragments

> > I'm running disk-storage-unit backups (not the disk-staging
> > storage units) on a NB5.1MP3 Solaris 9 server.  I've
> > configured my storage units for a 2000MB fragment size.
> >
> > Occasionally, I run into backup images which exactly fill the
> > fragments exactly and bpimagelist shows a final zero-sized
> > fragment which doesn't exist on the storage unit.  I haven't
> > been able to duplicate these backups to tape.  I've tried
> > touching a file having the same name as the final fragment,
> > but without success.  I've ultimately had to expire the backup.
> >
> > Does anybody have a workaround for this?  It seems like this
> > is a potential problem regardless of the storage unit's
> > fragment-size configuration.
>
> Sounds like the bug mentioned here a few postings ago:
>
> > > Also, what if the fragment size is 32GB and the backup is
> > > exactly 32GB? Are two fragments written or one?
> >
> > Yes.  :-)  See technote 280018 for a pre-5.1MP5 or pre-6.0MP2 bug
> > related to this.
>
> So, check out http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280018.htm
>
> NetBackup 6 has a default disk STU frag size of 0.5TB (see the SAG),
so
> a larger frag size, up to your OS's file-size limit, is also an
option.

--kathy
Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu