Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] import requirements (was: 3 Quest...)

2006-06-07 03:17:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] import requirements (was: 3 Quest...)
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 03:17:18 -0400
> I just had an afterthought!! Lets ASSUME I remove the policies and
> volume pools?
>
> What if I have to do an IMPORT of 3 year old tapes??
>
> What happens?

You just import them, phase 1 (build metadata file) and 2 (build files
file); the import depends on nothing.  I'm piggybacking on Carlos'
correct response that neither policies nor pools matter here to make
this point:  if you are serious about DR, it is important to grasp the
concept that a NetBackup data tape is self-contained--it needs _nothing_
other than a read drive and tar.  Installing NetBackup and using
bpimport is much easier, of course, but the point is that knowledge of
the originating environment is neither necessary nor useful to import
and restore NetBackup data.