Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU6 and Sharepoint accounts

2006-06-02 01:44:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU6 and Sharepoint accounts
From: Tim.Wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au (Wilkinson, Tim)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:44:49 +1000
Hi,

We're looking to back up Sharepoint Portal 2003 and I've noticed a strange bit
in the VERITAS Sharepoint 2003 admin guide. Step 4 seems to suggest if local
account is not used then it's all finished and shouldn't be configured:

Configuring the NetBackup Client Service Log On Account
To backup the SharePoint Index databases or Document Libraries, the NetBackup
Client Service must be authorized to run as the SharePoint administrator. In
Windows Services, configure the NetBackup Client Service properties for the
host(s) where the Index database(s) or Document Libraries reside.
? To verify or modify the Log On account for the NetBackup Client service
1.Open the Windows Services application.
2.Double-click on the NetBackup Client Service entry.
3.Click on the Log On tab.
4.If the local system account is not selected as the Log on as account, proceed
with step 7.
5.Provide the name of the account authorized to run as the SharePoint
administrator.
Note To change this account, you must have administrator group privileges.
6.Stop and start the NetBackup Client Service.
7.Close the Services control panel application.

Is this a typo? Surely any account could be set for NBU Client Service logon so
it seems strange that any account other than local system is OK given step 5.
Step 4 would make more sense to me without the word 'not'.
I suppose what I'm asking in a roundabout way is 'is the local system account
OK to have as the NetBackup Client service account?'

Cheers,

        Tim Wilkinson
        I.T. Support Officer
        Science Corporate Information Systems
        Defence Science & Technology Organisation
        Department of Defence

        Tel: (02) 96921484
        Fax: (02) 96921562
        Email: tim.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au