Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup PureDisk vs datadomain / Diligent..

2006-05-18 18:20:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup PureDisk vs datadomain / Diligent..
From: kwang AT esri DOT com (Koping Wang)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:20:43 -0700
Hi,
We are also looking in D2D solution which work with netbackup. We are
going to make decision between DataDomain and Dilligent. This is my
thought about these two products.
Dillignet:
Pro:  VTL - low impact on configuration.
        faster - it use fiber channel.
        more add on functions - there are some good add-on functions you
can buy from diligent.
Con:  costly - Software: Netbackup VTL license, Diligent license, Redhat
RHEL 64-bit license.
                   Hardware: 64 bit AMD server, disk storage. If you
don't have san, you might need a fiber switch.
Datadomain:
Pro:    Simple, no software license needed.
Con:  Not expendable, if you run out of space, you screw up.

Netbackup PureDisk: PureDisk is like a separate software from Netbackup.
You can have a lot of choice if you want to look into different D2D
products. PureDisk only support windows client.

Koping Wang
ESRI
Backup/Systems Administrator
380 New York St