Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 'Frequency' schedule type

2006-05-18 12:33:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 'Frequency' schedule type
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:33:31 -0500
On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:39:09AM -0400, Bob Stump wrote:
> bpimagelist returns with the "start time" of the image.  The image
> name contains the ctime of the start of the image.  Because of these
> reasons, I believe that "Freq is measured when the backup STARTS if
> you are using Freq based scheduling." But I have no proof and I have
> read conflicting posts from users using different versions of
> Netbackup.

I believe I've done the calculations before for the VMS client - the
relevant data is logged - and the date used is measured from when the
last backup STARTS, not ENDS.  If you think about it, it *has* to be
this way or you will miss files.

eg. differential starts at 12:00 and ends at 18:00.  A file is created
at 16:00 but the directory it is in was processed at 13:00.  If you
started your next differential and selected all files since 18:00, you'd
skip the file and this would be bad.  If you start your next backup and
selected the files created since 12:00, you'd be okay.  Now of course
you could select the same file twice (e.g. if the file was created at
12:05 and the directory was processed at 13:00)) but that's a far better
problem than not backing it up at all.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org