Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Policy Issue - Frequency Based Scheduling

2006-05-15 12:29:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Policy Issue - Frequency Based Scheduling
From: wts AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:29:01 -0400
Yes, with frequency based scheduling, keeping the frequency as small as
possible (yet larger than your window is expected to be) will let you do
a manual retry the next day without adversely affecting the backup next
week.

However, during the past year I have become a fan of calendar based
scheduling.  The advantage is that you can setup the retry to occur
automatically!

To make this happen for your example, you simply set your calendar day
to every Tuesday, while making windows for the schedule on both Tuesday
and Wednesday.  If the Tuesday backup "works", you'll have no Wednesday
backup; if the Tuesday backup fails, you'll have the Wednesday retry.
Slick.

I needed to spend less time with NetBackup and calendar based scheduling
helped a bit.

cheers, wayne