Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Planned Network Outage - What should I do about backups?

2006-05-12 12:20:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Planned Network Outage - What should I do about backups?
From: Eric.Hillman AT blackrock DOT com (Hillman, Eric)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:20:05 -0400
------_=_NextPart_001_01C675DF.ED9CFA01

We start weekly backups every Friday night.  They run through Sunday.
There is a scheduled network outage on Saturday morning between 5am and
noon.  This will disconnect clients from the backup servers and the
media servers from the master servers.  Can anyone recommend the best
way to pause these jobs?  Here are the choices I'm considering:

1. Stop Netbackup daemons on all master and media servers Friday night
and restart them after the network outage is done.  I believe this will
not allow all backups enough time to finish by Sunday night when our
next backup window starts
2. Don't do anything.  I'm not sure what will happed to jobs that are
running including "User" database backups which get sent to the master
server and run on a media server when the communication between those
servers is gone.  Also DSSU archival to tapes may experience problems
when communication is cut between the master server who is sending the
list of backup images to the media server to archive to tape.
3. Login immediately prior to the network outage and kill all backup
jobs, stop Netbackup deamons and restart deamons after the network is
back up.  This has never ended cleanly.  There's always jobs that don't
stop.  I almost always need to do some kill -9's to get the job
processes to die and the rest of the daemons to stop.  Also, partial
images will be left on DSSU's which won't get removed.  When jobs get
restarted, they'll eventually run out of disk space because Netbackup
left those partial images.  Does anyone know of an easy way of cleaning
out partial images on DSSU's?

Any recommendations are helpful.  Thanks!

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENT MAY BE PRIVILEGED,
CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED FROM DISCLOSURE. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this message and any attachment
notify us immediately by replying to the message and permanently delete it from
your computer and destroy any printout thereof.
------_=_NextPart_001_01C675DF.ED9CFA01

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7232.68">
<TITLE>Planned Network Outage - What should I do about backups?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">We start weekly backups every Friday night.&nbsp;
They run through Sunday.&nbsp; There is a scheduled network outage on Saturday
morning between 5am and noon.&nbsp; This will disconnect clients from the
backup servers and the media servers from the master servers.&nbsp; Can anyone
recommend the best way to pause these jobs?&nbsp; Here are the choices I'm
considering:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">1. Stop Netbackup daemons on all master and media
servers Friday night and restart them after the network outage is done.&nbsp; I
believe this will not allow all backups enough time to finish by Sunday night
when our next backup window starts</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">2. Don't do anything.&nbsp; I'm not sure what will
happed to jobs that are running including &quot;User&quot; database backups
which get sent to the master server and run on a media server when the
communication between those servers is gone.&nbsp; Also DSSU archival to tapes
may experience problems when communication is cut between the master server who
is sending the list of backup images to the media server to archive to
tape.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">3. Login immediately prior to the network outage
and kill all backup jobs, stop Netbackup deamons and restart deamons after the
network is back up.&nbsp; This has never ended cleanly.&nbsp; There's always
jobs that don't stop.&nbsp; I almost always need to do some kill -9's to get
the job processes to die and the rest of the daemons to stop.&nbsp; Also,
partial images will be left on DSSU's which won't get removed.&nbsp; When jobs
get restarted, they'll eventually run out of disk space because Netbackup left
those partial images.&nbsp; Does anyone know of an easy way of cleaning out
partial images on DSSU's?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Any recommendations are helpful.&nbsp;
Thanks!</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML><br>