Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slightly off subject

2006-05-10 05:55:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slightly off subject
From: mark.a.goodchild AT jpmchase DOT com (mark.a.goodchild AT jpmchase DOT com)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:55:34 +0100
--=_alternative 003686A38025716A_=

All

Slightly off subject

Generally....we are looking for a vendor toolkit that can.....

a) monitor a given server task I/O workload on a given 'real' storage
subsystem environment/configuration.
b) allow logical modelling changes within the tool to create an
alternative (theoretical) storage subsystem environment.
c) accurately predict/model the effect to the monitored task of a variety
of assumed changes to the physical/logical storage subsystem environment.
d) this 'effect' will ideally demonstrate any changes to individual
Write-I/O's (in milliseconds) and any changes to the tasks overall elapsed
time.

Specifically.......

Tool must provide for monitoring/calibration of tasks on Solaris and
Windows servers.
Tool will understand (and be able to model) the runtime environments for
all major storage subsystem suppliers  (minimally EMC and HDS).
Tool will understand (and be able to model) the runtime environments for
all major SAN switch suppliers (minimally Cisco and Mcdata).
Tool must be able to model the effect of......

        - changing the tasks logical I/O blksize
        - activating EMC or HDS synchronous replication over any required
distance up to 200 km (based upon DWDM fibre connectivity)
        - different simulated loads (simulated I/O path loading, simulated
storage cache loading, etc) laid over the monitored workload.
        - all the major switch/storage configuration settings (logical and
physical).
        - combinations of all the above.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Mark Goodchild
Branches Remediation J.P.Morgan Chase
Phone: 01202347149
Mail: Mark A Goodchild/JPMCHASE@JPMCHASE
E-Mail: mark.a.goodchild AT jpmchase DOT com
--=_alternative 003686A38025716A_=

toolkit that can.....</font>
on a given 'real' storage subsystem environment/configuration.</font>
the tool to create an alternative (theoretical) storage subsystem
environment.</font>
to the monitored task of a variety of assumed changes to the physical/logical
storage subsystem environment.</font>
any changes to individual Write-I/O's (in milliseconds) and any changes
to the tasks overall elapsed time. </font>
<ul>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Tool must provide for monitoring/calibration
of tasks on Solaris and Windows servers.</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Tool will understand (and be able to
model) the runtime environments for all major storage subsystem suppliers
&nbsp;(minimally EMC and HDS).</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Tool will understand (and be able to
model) the runtime environments for all major SAN switch suppliers (minimally
Cisco and Mcdata).</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Tool must be able to model the effect
of......</font></ul>
changing the tasks logical I/O blksize</font>
activating EMC or HDS synchronous replication over any required distance
up to 200 km (based upon DWDM fibre connectivity)</font>
different simulated loads (simulated I/O path loading, simulated storage
cache loading, etc) laid over the monitored workload.</font>
all the major switch/storage configuration settings (logical and
physical).</font>
combinations of all the above.</font>
Regards<br>
Mark Goodchild<br>
Branches Remediation J.P.Morgan Chase<br>
Phone: 01202347149<br>
Mail: Mark A Goodchild/JPMCHASE@JPMCHASE<br>
E-Mail: mark.a.goodchild AT jpmchase DOT com</font>
--=_alternative 003686A38025716A_=--