Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU setup questions

2006-05-04 04:55:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU setup questions
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:55:14 +0100
<<The next step I want to accomplish is to install NBU on MEDIA_S1.
Questions
related to this are

      1) I believe that I need to install the NBU media server software
directly on MEDIA_S1 from a
            CD distribution. Is this correct? I don't push software from
MASTER to MEDIA_S1
            like software gets pushed to machines which are just clients?

[Correct, but you can install from CDROM or copy the CDROM to an NFS
share, or automounted location]

      2) Do I need to configure NBU on MEDIA_S1 just like I did on MASTER
in terms of seeing
            the ADIC robotics and LT03 tape drives?

[Only one server needs to be presented the 'partition' on the ADIC, i.e.
the robotic control.  You only need to present the drives to the media
servers.  You don't say if your i2000 uses IO blades or is direct fibre
attached, or if you are planning to use SSO to share drives between
servers.  If no IO blades you do it all with zoning, with the IO blades
you need to zone and do all the FC LUN presentation on the ADIC.  That can
get confusing to people and FC software.]

      3) MEDIA_S1 will only backup itself. What needs to be done on which
machines in order to
            accomplish this? Do I create a policy to do this on MEDIA_S1
or
on MASTER?
            Which machine actually initiates and controls the backup of
MEDIA_S1? Is
            MASTER involved at all, and if so, how?

[All configuration of Netbackup is done from the Master, and that includes
device discovery, creating storage units and policies.  It is very
important to do this, and even more so if using SSO.  You do need to do
the bits in the "Media Manager Device Configuration Guide" on the Media
Server.  If you can see the drives using /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan you
have done what you need to for device discovery to work.  You still need
on the Medai Server to set the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS to 262144 and the
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS to a value that suits your configuration.  There are
also kernel parameters to set - depends on version of Solaris.  These
latter are for performance.   So in short, from the Master create a policy
that has MEDIA_S1 as the client, and uses a storage unit that includes the
drives on MEDIA_S1.  I think you may need to tick a few boxes to make sure
it always uses the local drives, or NBU may happily run the job on another
media server - someone else can help out there.]

Next I want to set up backups for NDMP_CLIENT. Questions related to this
are:

      4) I don't believe that I need to install anything on NDMP_CLIENT,
is
this correct?
            My understanding of NDMP hosts is that they come with an NDMP
module to
            which the backup server interfaces.

[That is true, but you do need to create an ndmp user account on the
DataMover - read the EMC manual on setting up NDMP - in fact there is one
general one on NDMP and one just for NetBackup, but it may not refelect
NBU 6 exactly.  The password for that account will be needed when you set
up the authorisation on your "NetBackup for NDMP" server, see below.  The
EMC manuals also tell you how to check the drives are configured OK on the
DataMover.]

      5) Do I need to install any software on MASTER to specifically deal
with NDMP_CLIENT,
            or is it sufficient to create a policy for it with the client
configured as being an NDMP host?

[You have to buy a licence for the NetBackup NDMP option, and install the
code if using a UNIX server.  It does not have to be the Master.  The
choice of server depends on server load - NDMP sends a great deal of
network traffic from the NDMP_CLIENT to the "NetBackup for NDMP" server -
as it writes each slab of data to the tape, it sends directory information
back.  That is collated on the "NetBackup for NDMP" server, and when the
job completes it is passed to the Master to update the Netbackup catalog.

The code is installed on the server of your choice (if you used a Windows
server it is already there).  The licence (the same key) must be installed
on both the "NetBackup for NDMP" server and the Master server,if they are
separate.

Creating the NDMP storage units is confusing due to the involvement of the
"NetBackup for NDMP" server.
]
      6) Is there some sort of username/pw for NDMP_CLIENT which must be
configured into
            MASTER?

[Yes, and this is different in NBU 6 from previous versions as it is done
from the Master Server administration console.  The manual says "On the
NetBackup server: under Media and Device Management > Devices, click on
NDMP Hosts. Under Actions, choose New > NDMP Host."  FWIW NDMP uses TCP
port 10000 so don't block that in any security software.  You need to read
up what your version of DART requires.  Older versions of NetBackup have
limits to password length, but I don't think you will have a problem with
DART.

The NetBackup manual is excellent, and if you use that and the EMC manuals
I'm sure you will succeed.

William D L Brown