Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience

2006-04-28 12:07:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience
From: Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com (Matthew Stier)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:07:50 -0400
--------------000106060605060908000304

--------------050309010502030400060903

Ed is correct.

Multiple Policies can be written to the same DSSU, however, the contents
of a DSSU can only be copied to a single "Volume Pool".  So you going to
need at least a unique DSSU for each Volume Pool you want staged.

In my environment, I have 5 Volume Pools.

The first is a NAS, and can feed the LTO3 drives a full speed. (So it
didn't make sense to stage them)

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, are databases held on three different servers,
and are backed up across a gigabit backbone.  Each of these have their
own DSSU on the media server. Which is then copied it's own Volume Pool
in the PTL.

The 5th covers everything else. Nearly a dozen policies that backed up
to two DSSU's, which feed a single Volume Pool.

Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:17:41PM -0400, Matthew Stier wrote:
>
>> DSSU's do have their weaknesses. You are typically stuck with one-to-one
>> ration between DSSU's and policies. This fit my needs, but for those
>> with a multitude of policies to manage, I can see them having problems.
>>

> We have a lot of policies using the same DSSUs and have not run into any
> issues with doing this.  The only time we have dedicated DSSUs is for
> databases and that's to guarantee that their last backup is on DSSU for
> a restore.
>
>         .../Ed

--------------050309010502030400060903

<head>
</head>
Ed is correct.&nbsp; <br>
Multiple Policies can be written to the same DSSU, however, the
contents of a DSSU can only be copied to a single "Volume Pool".&nbsp; So
you going to need at least a unique DSSU for each Volume Pool you want
staged.<br>
In my environment, I have 5 Volume Pools.&nbsp; <br>
The first is a NAS, and can feed the LTO3 drives a full speed. (So it
didn't make sense to stage them)<br>
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, are databases held on three different servers,
and are backed up across a gigabit backbone.&nbsp; Each of these have their
own DSSU on the media server. Which is then copied it's own Volume Pool
in the PTL.<br>
The 5th covers everything else. Nearly a dozen policies that backed up
to two DSSU's, which feed a single Volume Pool.<br>
Ed Wilts wrote:
    <pre wrap="">DSSU's do have their weaknesses. You are typically stuck with
one-to-one
ration between DSSU's and policies. This fit my needs, but for those
with a multitude of policies to manage, I can see them having problems.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
We have a lot of policies using the same DSSUs and have not run into any
issues with doing this.  The only time we have dedicated DSSUs is for
databases and that's to guarantee that their last backup is on DSSU for
a restore.

        .../Ed

  </pre>

--------------050309010502030400060903--

--------------000106060605060908000304

begin:vcard
fn:Matthew Stier
n:Stier;Matthew
org:Fujitsu Network Communications;CAE
adr:Sixth Floor;;Two Blue Hill Plaza;Pearl River;NY;10965;USA
email;internet:Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com
title:Principal Engineer
tel;work:845-731-2097
tel;fax:845-731-2011
tel;cell:845-893-0575