Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]

2006-04-26 10:28:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]
From: bob944 AT attglobal DOT net (bob944)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:28:11 -0400
Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net> wrote:

> I am surprised by the number of people using a single volume pool for
> data backups. What about mixed retentions on media?

What about them?  NetBackup *never* puts different retentions on a tape
unless you force it to with the MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA directive
(and there are very few situations where that's a good idea).

You are managing something that doesn't need to be managed.  There are
better uses for administrator brainpower.

I'm holding my tongue on a certain British colleague's pathological
overmanagement.  :-)