Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Client Installation Questions

2006-04-21 10:26:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Client Installation Questions
From: MConner AT imb DOT org (Conner, Mike)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:26:01 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6654F.83B40CF4

Hi everyone, we have NBU 5.1 MP4 on a windows platform.  I have a couple
questions for you...

We script out the installation of NetBackup to not require any user
interaction. We currently have installation documentation that states
that we should run the NetBackup service under administrative
credentials, therefore requiring us to use a specific domain account. We
are wondering what the best practice is here? Seeing as the default
installation setting sets up the service to run as "Local System." We
would like to simply use the "Local System" account. If however, it is
best practice to specify an administrative account, can we include that
information in our MSI installation script? I do not see where to do so.
We do not have an advanced packaging environment to create custom MST's,
knowing that we could probably use such a method to install the client
service using whatever account we wish. We also know we can go behind
our installation with a VBS to change service login information.
However, this does not provide that specific account "Log on as service"
rights in the Local Security policy. We do not currently control this
setting using a GPO.=20

=20

One more question: In our installation script, we are using the
%computername% variable to specify the computer's name in the client
software. This however, provides the NetBIOS name. Is there a way, or
variable, to automatically provide the machine's Fully Qualified Domain
Name?

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6654F.83B40CF4

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<title>Message</title>

<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
        {margin-right:0in;
        margin-left:0in;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman";}
span.EmailStyle20
        {font-family:Arial;
        color:navy;}
@page Section1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
        {page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Hi everyone, we have NBU 5.1 MP4 on a windows =
platform.&nbsp; I

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>We script out the installation of NetBackup to not =
require
any user interaction. We currently have installation documentation that =
states
that we should run the NetBackup service under administrative =
credentials,
therefore requiring us to use a specific domain account. We are =
wondering what
the best practice is here? Seeing as the default installation setting =
sets up
the service to run as &#8220;Local System.&#8221; We would like to =
simply use
the &#8220;Local System&#8221; account. If however, it is best practice =
specify an administrative account, can we include that information in =
our MSI
installation script? I do not see where to do so. We do not have an =
a</span></font><font
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>dv</span></font><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>anced
packaging environment to create custom MST&#8217;s, knowing that we =
could
probably use such a method to install the client service using whatever =
account
we wish. We also know we can go behind our installation with a VBS to =
change
service login information. However, this does not provide that specific =
account
&#8220;Log on as service&#8221; rights in the Local Security policy. We =
do not

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>One more question: In our installation script, we are =
using
the %computername% variable to specify the computer&#8217;s name in the =
client
software. This however, provides the NetBIOS name. Is there a way, or =
variable,
to automatically provide the machine&#8217;s Fully Qualified Domain =

style=3D'font-size:

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6654F.83B40CF4--