Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk staging units in 5.1 MP4: Max Concurrent Jobs?

2006-03-29 16:50:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk staging units in 5.1 MP4: Max Concurrent Jobs?
From: jstephens AT ti DOT com (Stephens, John)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:50:24 -0600
This should explain it.

 http://support.veritas.com/docs/280398

John D Stephens
jstephens AT ti DOT com

-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Phil Rand
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:19 PM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk staging units in 5.1 MP4: Max Concurrent
Jobs?

Hello,

I'm trying to use a disk staging storage unit under 5.1 MP4, and am
wondering how to interpret the maximum conconcurrent jobs attribute.
I assumed it controlled the number of concurrent jobs allowed to write
to the disk staging storage unit during stage 1, and some
experimentation does seem to confirm that.

However, I would have thought Stage 2 (relocation) would have had the
number of concurrent duplication jobs limited by maximum concurrent
drives setting of the final destination storage unit.  I have 2 tape
drives in my final destination storage unit, max concurrent drives set
to 2, and instead of 2 orderly duplication jobs,  I saw 4, with many
134 errors as they contended for tape drives.  Or at least, I would
have expected the duplications to quietly wait their turns for drives
as they do when I start them manually from a conventional disk storage
unit.

I found that when I reduced the max concurrent jobs of my disk staging
storage unit to 2, that seems to limit the duplication jobs to 2.

What's going on here?   How do I allow many disk-to-disk jobs in stage
1, but only one disk-to-tape job per tape drive in stage 2?

--
Phil Rand
philrand AT pobox DOT com